SharpsShooter started it...
His build details for the original beltfed AK conversion:
- The barrel, trunion, bolt, and bolt carrier are ak-47.
- The receiver is scratch built form 1 1/2' by 2' retangular steel tubing.
1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x .12
- The bolt carrier has a piece welded on the back of it for a m_60 return
spring to connect to.
- The weld piece aslo has a slot machined into the bottom for an extended
FAL hammer to swing into to stike a spring retun extended ak firing pin.
- On top of the welded piece is mounted a roller that rides in the feed
cam slot of aMG-3 top cover/feed mechanism.
- The gas tube is made out of a 12 ga barrel section and a larger gas
piston is silver soldered to the originial ak gas piston to give the bolt
carrier extra push to operate the beltfeed.
- The belt is MG3 which holds the 7.62x39 cartridge not as tight as a RPD
- The gas relief holes in the gas tube are drilled at the end of the gas
piston stroke to make the system a long stroke piston, again to give the
bolt carrier extra push to operate the feed mechanim.
- It ejects down low to the left and the ejected cartridges just miss the
SAW-249 50 round cloth cartridge bag.
- Rear sight is K98.
- There is a front barrel extension fitte to the ak barrel to keep the
pressure up longer inorder to aid in operating the feed mechanim.
- The butt stock, pistol grip assy and the forearm are scratch built.
- The fcg is FAL.
- Flash hider is L1A1.
- The gas port is drilled out to .187 dia.
- The bi-pod is import RPK style.
- The feed tray is alto scratch built.